From: Martin Spott <martin.sp...@mgras.net>
To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Fri, 10 December, 2010 4:38:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Airport Water Clipping

"J. Holden" wrote:

> For an airport like Innsbruck, where the airport automatically
> generated grass polygon juts into the river "cs_lake", or like Honolulu
> or Macau, when there is a "lake" in the middle of the airfield, would
> it be possible to take a lake layer (or the lake layer) and "burn" the
> water texture into the airfield before any of the taxiways are applied?

Yes, in the not so distant future this should well be possible - at
least technically.

Yet I'd like to point out that this is going to open a new can of
worms, not only but also because most of our lake/river data is so
inaccurate that we might end up flooding large areas within airfields
which are probably just being crossed by a single, small brook  ;-)

Also note that the grass areas in and around airfields do also serve
the reasonable purpose of keeping random vegetation and other partially
automated stuff away from runways. Therefore I'd recommend not to
generally ditch these grass areas but instead to make them optional on
a by-airfield basis.

Cheers,
    Martin.