> This is considered a "feature," by some anyway :) I added this with the idea
> that one could optimize ac model and substitute the optimized version. It's
> never been used much and has led to complaints about getting the wrong cows.
> I still think the idea is a reasonable one, but perhaps it needs to be
> removed in its current form.
Personally I think it's better that if I specify a certain file to be
loaded that it is honored, rather than having something trying to be
clever and second guess me in the background.

> Effects only work with .ac files because the code knows how to extract
> material parameters from the loaded representation of the .ac files. Those
> parameters are used by the default effects in the Effects folder. It should
> be possible to apply a complete effect with no missing  parameters to a
> named object in a different kind of file, but I haven't tried it.
> Tim

Damn, was hoping I was just doing something wrong...I really need
this. I think we should at the very least support OSG native formats
(osg,ive,osgb,osgt). But really, shouldn't we get be reading the
pertinent data from OSG interfaces after the plugin has loaded it up,
rather than doing file specific stuff at all? I thought that was the
whole point about all the osg loaders...to abstract that stuff away as
much as possible.

So what can I do to help move this along? I do really need it for my
projects as the ac3d format just doesn't cut it for me.

cheers!