On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Jacob Burbach <jmburb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do agree it is important to use models and even file formats
> optimized for performance.

I've used a commercial simulation that made heavy use of model optimization.
 In this case all model creation was done using openflight (.flt) and then
at load time an optimized version was created in native performer format I
believe.  This worked well, largely because the optimized file format was
exclusively different from the artist file format.  (and significantly
boosted model load speeds on subsequent runs.)

Would it be possible to come up with our own optimized model extension that
would be unique and different from anything an artist might produce?  I
could see this heading off into a lot of work though.  We maybe would want a
global flag that specifies if model optimization should be turned on / off.
 Saving an optimized version of every model could significantly increase the
harddrive footprint of our data tree.

Just thinking out loud here ...

Curt.
--