Curtis Olson wrote:

> I've used a commercial simulation that made heavy use of model optimization.
> In this case all model creation was done using openflight (.flt) and then
> at load time an optimized version was created in native performer format I
> believe.  This worked well, largely because the optimized file format was
> exclusively different from the artist file format.  (and significantly
> boosted model load speeds on subsequent runs.)
>
> Would it be possible to come up with our own optimized model extension that
> would be unique and different from anything an artist might produce?

In your example you're referring to "native Performer format". I think
the counterpart would be "native OSG format"  ;-)

One idea that came up in the past was to compile a terrain tile and all
immovable 3D models within its coverage into one single object in
'native' or 'optimized' format at load time and to refer to that one
for later use. But this would imply hard-wiring the current tile schema
into more different places, which is probably not a good idea for the
long term ....

Cheers,
        Martin.