> How about using plain "old" textured plane crosses for clouds at bigger
> distances? (the way trees are done, only with a (or several) horizontal
> plane(s) added)
> These might work better for bigger structures like cumulonimbus, and
> such,
> too, as you can "control" the shape a bit. (no fancy shader needed ;) )

I don't think that works.

Issue 1: I have never been able to work out a geometry for a static,
believable cloud. I have tried plane crosses, intersecting spheres and
ellipsoides, stacks of curved sheets, bubble foam geometries,... no joy,
all looked quite bad even from some distance. I have tried for a month, no
success. However, you are one of the best 3d modellers around here - so
maybe you can pull it off.

Issue 2: Shading - if faraway clouds are not shaded, they look unrealistic
if nearby clouds are shaded away from the sun. If they are shaded, I don't
see how the shading of any static geometry will be able to mimick the
shading of the rotated sheets - especially plane crosses look very
different when shaded.

Issue 3: Transitions approaching the cloud: Nearby clouds are created as
random stacks of different cloudlets - so there's no way one could know in
advance how the detailed version of the cloud will look. Therefore, the
faraway proxy and the nearby realistic cloud will almost certainly look
differently, and this will give you a rather ugly transition.

Issue 4: Transitions leaving the cloud: Nearly as bad - once in the
scenery, I make no distinction of what a cloud is, individual textures are
on their own - in principle a cloud can partially decay, merge with a
different one, merge with a layer, separate itself from a layer,... That
goes along with nature where 'cloud' is also not a well-defined object. So
in going from a multi-texture stack to a single static model, you'd
somehow group clouds again and make a decision which of your textured
surfaces are supposed to represented by the placeholder. Consider an
undulatus pattern - what is it you'd replace - the whole layer, one strand
of clouds, parts of a strand where it is disconnected? How do you group
technically - you'd somehow probe the whole geometry and match it to some
predefined pattern. You also can't store the info what a cloud is supposed
to be at creation time, because clouds are allowed to evolve and to
change.

So, looking into the details, it's really far from trivial how to use
placeholders, and that is why I haven't been able to work out a viable
scheme.

> I'll have a go at retexturing, redimensioning and choping this weekend if
> that's ok with you.

Yes, certainly. I suggest that we pack your /Models/Weather/ then into a
tarball and I host that for the time being as a dds texture patch to Local
Weather so that people can test what works better for them. Once we know
how this affects different systems, we can decide what to do and which
version should go into GIT.

Based on the Electra responses in the forum, dds doesn't seem to run for
everyone without problems...

* Thorsten