On Friday 25 March 2011 14:00:20 thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi wrote:

> > The most efficient way seems to have everything else maxed out, and
> > selected.
>
> Not always. Asymmetric buffering is good if you fly straight, but very bad
> if you circle - for soaring it's completely unsuitable as you'd constantly
> shuffle things in and out of the buffer. With CACHE_ALL it's probably more
> efficient than it used to be...

Well I was up at 50k ft, with the ufo, looking around, max fov, and it isn't
as bad (sure there's some redrawing visible at the edges) but it certainly was
worse with any decrease in any of the buffering options.

> > Visible range hits really hard >25 km here. (this is the biggest hitter,
> > guess it's to be expected since this increases the area drawn)
> > Max clouds in loop > 0.3-0.4 of the slider (I'd guess about 200 km ?)
> > (too bad
> > the sliders don't display the actual value somewhere :( )
>
> The slider really represents an number (from 100-400) - the range is
> derived from that number dependent on the density of clouds.

mdap, typo on my part (was thinking about the range at wich clouds shoud
become boxes, hence the km ;) )

> I've been thinking about the problem for a year now (my rational was that
> layered clouds from 30.000 ft should be visible for much more than 55 km,
> and the only way to do that is using sheets. I haven't been able to come
> up with a viable solution :-( So if you have one, let me know... it's a
> much harder problem than one would assume naively.
>
> Cheers,
>
> * Thorsten
How about using plain "old" textured plane crosses for clouds at bigger
distances? (the way trees are done, only with a (or several) horizontal
plane(s) added)
These might work better for bigger structures like cumulonimbus, and such,
too, as you can "control" the shape a bit. (no fancy shader needed ;) )

BTW:
A question for our more knowledgeable graphics coders: I don't know if and how
this is affecting the VRAM usage, or gpu performance, shouldn't we have the
default wrapping mode for textures on models (not terrain) set to clamp, not
repeat (as most usualy use parts of one bigger texture, or it's extents), and
use repeat only where that's needed?
(that is if that's what the <wrap-s/> <wrap-t/> tags control in the texture
definiton inside the effect files)

Emilian