On Friday 25 March 2011 12:52:58 thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi wrote:
> > Yep things improve, noticeably. And I'm more convinced it's a lack of gpu
> > memory issue (as in it gets filled up pretty quick with the clouds), as I
> > caught a glimpse of scenery getting redrawn too.
>
> You may be right - I looked up the specs of my computer, and it seems I
> have 512 MB VRAM, so that's a difference.
>
> What would then reduce memory consumption to see if the problem goes away?
> Using lowres textures? Using fewer clouds? Can you play with the Local
> Weather cloud generation menu to see if there's a number beyond which
> problems start?
>
> Or simply reduce the view range in the config menu to see if the problem
> goes away?
>
> * Thorsten

Quick and easy way out, compressed textures for the clouds as in .dds textures
:D
(sorry about that, couldn't help myself :P)

I've played around a bit with the config settings, the greatest effect was
noticed with the visible range slider, and max clouds in loop.
The most efficient way seems to have everything else maxed out, and selected.
Visible range hits really hard >25 km here. (this is the biggest hitter, I
guess it's to be expected since this increases the area drawn)
Max clouds in loop > 0.3-0.4 of the slider (I'd guess about 200 km ?) (too bad
the sliders don't display the actual value somewhere :( )
(with the visible range to the minimum: max clouds in loop has very mild
adverse effects when increased)

Also massive effects where noticed when disabling any of the buffering options,
or lowering their value. (I guess system ram helps here)

Back to the efficiency thingy, clouds further out (>20 km ?) should really be
big boxes, as it's not worth it do draw them one by one, don't know how to
solve this but I guess we could come up with an idea that's both visually
pleasing and efficient to draw.
One thing i'm thinking, is that the range animation drawback can be overcome
by doing it in your code, like selecting the big box version for clouds that
are a certain range out from the POV? (iterations in the nasal code seem to
work pretty fast, it's just the gpu cannot keep up with them)

HTH

Emilian