On Saturday 26 March 2011 10:16:47 thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi wrote:
> > How about using plain "old" textured plane crosses for clouds at bigger
> > distances? (the way trees are done, only with a (or several) horizontal
> > plane(s) added)
> > These might work better for bigger structures like cumulonimbus, and
> > such,
> > too, as you can "control" the shape a bit. (no fancy shader needed ;) )
>
> I don't think that works.
>
> Issue 1: I have never been able to work out a geometry for a static,
> believable cloud. I have tried plane crosses, intersecting spheres and
> ellipsoides, stacks of curved sheets, bubble foam geometries,... no joy,
> all looked quite bad even from some distance. I have tried for a month, no
> success. However, you are one of the best 3d modellers around here - so
> maybe you can pull it off.
>
> Issue 2: Shading - if faraway clouds are not shaded, they look unrealistic
> if nearby clouds are shaded away from the sun. If they are shaded, I don't
> see how the shading of any static geometry will be able to mimick the
> shading of the rotated sheets - especially plane crosses look very
> different when shaded.
>
> Issue 3: Transitions approaching the cloud: Nearby clouds are created as
> random stacks of different cloudlets - so there's no way one could know in
> advance how the detailed version of the cloud will look. Therefore, the
> faraway proxy and the nearby realistic cloud will almost certainly look
> differently, and this will give you a rather ugly transition.
>
> Issue 4: Transitions leaving the cloud: Nearly as bad - once in the
> scenery, I make no distinction of what a cloud is, individual textures are
> on their own - in principle a cloud can partially decay, merge with a
> different one, merge with a layer, separate itself from a layer,... That
> goes along with nature where 'cloud' is also not a well-defined object. So
> in going from a multi-texture stack to a single static model, you'd
> somehow group clouds again and make a decision which of your textured
> surfaces are supposed to represented by the placeholder. Consider an
> undulatus pattern - what is it you'd replace - the whole layer, one strand
> of clouds, parts of a strand where it is disconnected? How do you group
> technically - you'd somehow probe the whole geometry and match it to some
> predefined pattern. You also can't store the info what a cloud is supposed
> to be at creation time, because clouds are allowed to evolve and to
> change.
>
> So, looking into the details, it's really far from trivial how to use
> placeholders, and that is why I haven't been able to work out a viable
> scheme.
 I'll think about these issues, and see if and what I can come up with.

> > I'll have a go at retexturing, redimensioning and choping this weekend if
> > that's ok with you.
>
> Yes, certainly. I suggest that we pack your /Models/Weather/ then into a
> tarball and I host that for the time being as a dds texture patch to Local
> Weather so that people can test what works better for them. Once we know
> how this affects different systems, we can decide what to do and which
> version should go into GIT.
>
> Based on the Electra responses in the forum, dds doesn't seem to run for
> everyone without problems...
>
> * Thorsten

Theoretically, clouds wouldn't be affected by those issues, as those are
related to the normalmap format (it's a newer compression method, and it's
task specific).
        That could come up in the future, if things improve, maybe we'll use
        normalmaps on the clouds too, to enhance them, but that's another story.
I've started in advance with the chopping (to give me a head-start ;) ), and
one conclusion I can draw, from what I've seen so far, is that texture usage
is very inefficient in some cases. So i think we'll at least free up some of
the
memory used regardless of the final format of the textures will be in. (There
are textures with >60% empty space in them, that's wasting video memory, as
these get decompressed into videoram; I'm not criticizing your work, which i
can only appreciate even more now seeing what a huge task it was if only to
model and texture all the clouds, which I imagine was a minor part in the
development).

On that note, I take this opportunity to thank you again for all the
development done on this subject, and I'm glad I can contribute in some way to
it.

Have a nice springtime week-end (at least here it's shaping up that way
weather wise :) ),

Emilian