On 19.05.2011 20:38, Lauri Peltonen wrote:
> So the solution is either change the clear color to what it was, or make
> it ramp linearly to black or something with altitude.
>
> Or change simgear/scene/sky.cxx around line 117 (repaint method), there
> is a
> if ( effective_visibility>  1000.0 ) {
> } else {
>    // turn off sky
>    disable();
> }

Great find, Lauri! Removing the visibility condition fixes the issue for
me - and I haven't seen any side effects (yet ;) ). Not sure why that
condition was introduced in the first place (suggestions anyone?).
The condition seems a bit of hack to me - why should sky be "switched
off" for 999 feet, but not for 1001 feet visibility... So, removing it
may be the cleanest solution to the sky color issue.

My suggestion: we try removing the condition now and see if anyone sees
new issues. If so, it's probably best to temporarily revert both patches
for the upcoming release - and try to find a better solution for the
next one. And if removing the condition does not cause any new issues,
we've solved the issue anyway (and of course keep it for the release).

Other suggestions? Any background info on the "effective_visibility>
1000.0" condition? Otherwise I'll try removing it from "sg/next".

cheers,
Thorsten