Hi all!

At last I had time to look at the black sky problem which resulted every
time visibility was < 1000 meters (or feet?). Anyways, I found the
problem.

Indeed I changed the clear color to be black to make space look better.
But what I didn't know was that the whole sky (dome and stars etc) is
optimised away if visibility is less than that 1000 units.

So the solution is either change the clear color to what it was, or make
it ramp linearly to black or something with altitude.

Or change simgear/scene/sky.cxx around line 117 (repaint method), there
is a
if ( effective_visibility > 1000.0 ) {
} else {
  // turn off sky
  disable();
}

so taking that condition away would solve the problem.

What would be the best solution, what do you think?

Zan