I ran some tests yesterday about the possibility of using static jetways
as placeholders. At KSFO, with animated jetways disabled and no dynamic
jetway models at all, FPS was at about 32-33 on my system. With animated
jetways, it plummeted to 15-16. When I used
$FG_ROOT/Models/Airport/jetway.xml as a place holder, FPS slightly
increased to 22-23. My conclusion is that this really doesn't offer any
benefit, and frankly, competing sims don't have such "placeholder
jetways" either.

I've filed a new request at Gitorious here:
https://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/merge_requests/98 . A list of
improvements can be found in the description.