On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:37:27 +0200, Alex wrote in message
<20110622133727.6a7007df@main>:

> Am Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:20:17 +0200
> schrieb Arnt Karlsen <a...@c2i.net>:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:42:41 +0200, Alex wrote in message
> > <20110621234241.5daf0f9e@main>:
> >
> > > I am using system:
> > > Linux 2.6.39.1 #2 SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux Debian Stable/Squeeze
> > > ATI Technologies Inc RS880 [Radeon HD 4200]
> >
> > ..a laptop?
> no
>
> > > Driver: fglrx, mostly latest version, 11.6 atm (11.1/11.2 during
> > > testing, IIRC)
> >
> > ..try the radeon driver, it should support your graphics card
> > better by now.
> > It may also expose other bugs you haven't seen yet,
> > exactly because you have been using fglrx.
> What is your point?

..the radeon and radeonhd drivers are both in development
just like FG and may do now what they did not do the last
time you tried them, my guess is the radeon driver on your
card, should beat both fglrx and radeonhd, so come on and
prove me wrong. ;o)

> How is that related to the versions of the
> dependencies of SG/FG?

..I'm talking about the "ATI" bugs that none of the Nvidea
owner FG developers could see, and that I suspect is part
driver, part OSG, part SG and part FG.

..trying another driver with everything else left as is,
gives us all a new observation.  (I haven't been able to
do that myself due to RL issues such as housing.)

..I _have_ seen improvements since I filed bug #264, but there
are also #295 and maybe #320, my #264 and #295 may be related
to #96.

..whenever OSG, SG or FG demands something that the hardware
cannot support, the driver should reject that demand and tell
us a little more than:
"r300: ERROR: FS input generic 17 unassigned, not enough hardware
slots." so I can try _educated_ guesses.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: