I know of another project who's main git repository contains a script,
that manages the other git repositories, this allows them to split the
gigs of data they have in to more sensible chunks, without having to
pull every repository individually.

Though the current state will be annoying for new developers on average
speed internet connections as afaik, git cannot clone, stop half way,
then continue.