Geoff,
the whole scenery build directory is
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3028956/newScenery.tar.bz2

The process that i used for cutting up the 3sec dems was to use your
makeYSSY-1.0.4 to produce only the SRTM directory and run terrafit as
well as produce the airports.

After that everything came from shape files from ga.gov.au.

I have found that all data in the VMAP is out of position with airports
and coastal data and found that the shape files all align correctly.

There were also some changes needed to one of the terragear files to
increase the allowed build time for a tile.

~line 1187 in src/BuildTiles/Main/main.cxx

    limit.rlim_cur = 300000;    // seconds
    limit.rlim_max = 300000;    // seconds

The build command

 fgfs-construct --work-dir=. --output-dir=Scenery/Terrain --lon=150
--lat=-30 --xdist=5 --ydist=5 AirportArea AirportObj SRTM2-Australia-3
LandMass  Sand   Rivers Lakes Freeways Trunk_Freeways Tertiary_Roads
Service_Roads Secondary_Roads Primary_Roads Towns Cities Crops
Railroads Residential_Roads

hope this all helps
Jason

PS it took 860min to build