Hi Geoff,

Geoff McLane wrote:

> de.knewcleus.fgfs/src/de/knewcleus/fgfs/multiplayer/
> protocol/MultiplayerPacket.java
>
> -   public static final int MAX_PACKET_SIZE=1024;
> +   public static final int MAX_PACKET_SIZE=1200; // FIX20111226

I knew there was an obvious flaw in one of the public versions, but
that's been a different one  :-)

> And I was able to create for myself another new
> sector.xml from the samples given, for an airport
> of my choice, thanks to mapserver shapefile
> downloads, etc... which all seemed to work well ;=))

Sounds cool !

> BUT I could NOT seem to get the comms (fgcom?)
> working... any ideas, pointers...

I never noticed a comm console in OpenRadar - and I've used it
frequently in earlier days.  Therefore I'm quite surprised ....  I'll
have to have a closer look these days, maybe this helps reminding the
idea behind this comm console you mention.

> http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10221
> seems more interested in using Atlas as the base...

OpenRadar has been designed with EUROCONTROL (the European air traffic
control / safety organization) user interface standards for real life
radar consoles in mind.  Therefore it's a lot different from the
so-called radar consoles people are familiar with in FlightGear land.
Maybe *too* different ....  :-/

> http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Stand_Alone_ATC_Control_Development
> likewise seems to again favor Atlas...

Well, I don't know what to say about that ....

> But are there other places where I can read more specifically
> about this java OpenRadar setup, running, operations?

No, not much. The most elaborate reference so far is the source code. I
know what Ralf was having in mind because we've been talking a lot
about OpenRadar (which even didn't have a name until shortly before
development stopped), therefore I should be able to answer questions.
If you think it's worth doing so, I'd put it into a Gitorious project
alongside simgear and all the other stuff, hoping that people drop a
patch every now and then.

One of the various nice features in OpenRadar is its abstraction layer
for switching data source interfaces.  Somone built a pure Java HLA
compilant interface for OpenRadar, but that's never been integrated
into the main source tree.

Cheers,
        Martin.