Quote:
>#2 has long been a point of frustration for me. I've given up trying
>to address folks on the forum who say "throw all the vertices/polygons
>at it that you like! Graphics cards can handle millions with no
>problem!" Last time I looked there was even an FG wiki article that
>advised modelers to use as many polygons as they like.

And that's a point of frustration to me!

Because no one, not Tim Moore, not me, not anyone, did say this!
The wiki article is btw by Tim Moore.

But they said, that the bottleneck of GPU's is not the vertice count, but other
things.
That never meant that you have to use many vertices as you want.

"... As many vertices as needed- not more or less!"
>From http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6030

No one wants to see edgy aircraft as we still have in the repo.
But also not oversized models like the Vostok-1.

The other big problem was until now, that we didn't had a proper LOD-System-
that made it difficult as well.
According to TorstenB that has been improved a lot now.
And especially in FGFS not really Vertices is one of the big problems, but
.xml's and nasal-scripts.

It is interesting to see that other Sims like X-Plane and in the past MSFS uses
models with far, far more polygons and vertices than we do, and still seems to
have good perfomance.

How can it be?

And there had been an other problem in the past and now:

-Many misleading statements about that issues and no tips and helps for those
interested to make it right.
-People who had more of less the knowledge but kept them for themselves,
instead of helping others to make their work better. Or used this to simply
showoff.
But that's how FGFS-Project has ever been: a tank full of sharks- survival of
the fittest.

Cheers
Heiko