Thorsten,

>> And especially in FGFS not really Vertices is one of the big problems,
>> but .xml's and nasal-scripts.

>No, you can't say that in general. It quite depends on what you do and
>what options you use. Whatever you compute, it costs some amount of
>resource, and how long your frame takes is determined by the slowest
>element.

Gary adressed those creating the 3d-models and aircraft in FGFS.

Of course, logically you will always run out of GPU power at a certain vertice
count which inludes all vertices (aircraft, terrain, clouds, trees...). But
GPU's getting better and better today, but still the shape of the aircraft does
not need hundred of vertices to make it look smooth.

And yes, terrain itself has a big influence on framerate and perfomance.
I can remember very good the time (2006/07 ??) when the first detailed Custom
Scenery made by Martin Spott and Ralf Gerlich came out- I noticed a good hit on
the frame rate, which was only due the more use of terrain-vertices. But that
was with an old one-core processor and a very old GeForce 5200...

Today I notice that even increasing the visibility no real framerate hit- even
with 120km visibility. But a big increase of RAM-Usage.

But again: Gary was talking about 3d-models like aircraft.
And that was what I adressed as well.

I experimented a bit with the different aircraft, and it always turned out that
especially Nasal-scripts, and sometimes some .xml's has an big influence of
perfomance. Bigger than an high vertice count.

Problem is- this behavior depends a very lot on the hardware. In the forum you
will find a very lot of people who seems to have an older computer, or a simple
Office-computer with low graphic-perfomance.

>But for instance, you told in the forum that you are running a lower than
>1 value of cloud density because of performance reasons. Which means that
>you are seeing the impact of the 3dcloud vertex shader as limiting factor,
>not some Nasal or xml, because what the cloud density slider does is
>reduce cloudlet (=vertex) count.

GW on the the ocean gives me even with density =1 about 50-60fps (Fair
weather)- when I'm inside the clouds and the full screen is covered with
cloudlets I get much, much less (about 15-30fps).
The limiting factor here seems to me the transparent textures.

The LW does use less cloudlets even with density =1, and so less vertices than
GW. Still I can see a higher use of CPU and lower Framerates.

I can see what you wanted to say me- and I do see, that you have make great
work with your Nasal-driven weather-system. You showed what is possible by
using Nasal-scripts, and used this in a very intelligent way.

>I guess my bottomline is that any code running on a per-frame basis should
>be made more efficient when it can be made more efficient, regardless if
>it is currently the limiting factor for someone or not, simply because it
>may be the limiting element for someone else.

Yes. And as Nasal-scripts has a natural limit of perfomance compared to code
integrated into Simgear/ Flightgear your work will have much better perfomance
if as much as possible has been hardcoded.

Heiko

still in work: http://www.hoerbird.net/galerie.html
But already done: http://www.hoerbird.net/reisen.html