> Pushing most of the haze shader computation from the vertex to the
> fragment level would seem to suggest an approximately constant cost for
> the haze for the same view regardless of scenery complexity since the
> number of hazy fragments remain about the same.

Thanks for the explanations - that was *really* helpful to understand what
is going on.

I did a quick check pushing everything which is not vector geometry to the
fragment shader, and...

* below 20 km visibility range or so, the scheme appears to be a bit (~10
%) slower than it was previously as vertex-based rendering

* from about 20 to about 120 km visibility range, I had a constant and
quite usable framerate around 22 fps for full screen 1920x1200 resolution
(I suppose since this goes per pixel, the screen resolution should affect
this).

* above 120 km, the vertex part seemed to become an issue again and I went
down to 15 fps around 200 km visibility range (this is a lot more than I
had previously seen for that range)

I guess this confirms your scaling prediction.

* best part - for most of the range below 100 km visibility range, maxing
out the cloud view range to 75 km didn't make a lot of difference for the
framerate (apparently plenty of extra capacity for vertex rendering)

In summary: 120 km visibility range with clouds drawn to 75 km at 22 fps
with terrain haze and sunset effects on in the F-16 at full screen
resolution 1920x1200. There seems to be something going into the right
direction here :-) Have to test this more systematically, and also see if
I can shuffle stuff from the skydome frag part to vertex.

* Thorsten