On Monday 05 March 2012 12:02:26 Frederic Bouvier wrote:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> > De: thorsten i renk
> >
> > > I agree that we should merge the project rembrandt work sooner
> > > rather than later.  However, we should also take some time and
> > > effort to make sure Thorsten's sky/haze/horizon effects are
> > > accounted for as well.  I don't know what issues we will find
> > > when trying to merge these two efforts, but they both need to
> > > be considered together.
> >
> > Yes please.
> >
> > Or if someone could just help in creating an effect structure
> > thatone can switch these things on and off so that installing
> > the lightfields doesn't have to overwrite everything and that
> > it would be on GIT? Then we can worry about how to merge later?
> > Lightfields would work optionally, there's no fundamental
> > obstacle here.
> >
> > I know there's the idea to get everything perfectly merged in an
> > elegant way by factoring out light and haze functions, but I'd
> > be happy with a simple optional structure now and the rest later.
>
> Be sure that I am extremely interested in merging your work into
> Rembrandt. It is just too early for me, and as the discussion
> raised the point of the compatibility with older hardware, the
> mockup (from by clone) can't be merged as is. So, in order to
> have the less disturbing migration path as possible, things will
> take even more time.
>
> But i will come back to you to see how decoupling light and haze
> can be done in the future framework.
>
> > It's getting somewhat frustrating... Not so much for myself, but
> > for others who want to try it, and it's starting to look silly
> > when I have to tell everyone who is interested 'Sorry, it's
> > ready since a month ago, but we haven't been able to put it
> > on GIT yet, so you still need to go through a tricky manual
> > installation process'.
>
> Do you mean that v1.1 as posted on the forum can't be committed
> as is to git ?
>
> Regards,
> -Fred
No it can't. The fog/light functions need to be extracted and put into
include_fog.*, and there needs to be a check in that one that switches between
the different models based on the sky shader setting.
There is an important issue though, the functions appear to be different for
objects and terrain. That's not quite optimal IMHO, and will lead again to
diverging fog models (what I've been trying to avoid by using a common fog
function).

And just throwing them in and splattering all the other shaders with fog
functions in them will triple the work required later. So it's better to do
this right from the beggining.

Regards,
Emilian