On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:21:20 +0200, Geoff wrote in message
<1339590080.1793.17.camel@DELL02>:

> On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 16:57 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:00:47 +0200, Geoff wrote in message
> > > Concerning Rembrandt, it does not work on either
> > > of my 2 ATI cards - Radeon HD 2600 XT, running Ubuntu
> > ..the latest (12.04)?
> No, still 10.04 LTS, but may upgrade soon...

..hum, see below on big red box.

> > > 64-bit,
> > ..dmesg |grep -i '\(firmware\|radeon\|kms\)' says?
> Nothing, nanda, zilch ;=))
>
> I am running the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver.

..your HD 2600 XT card is old enough to have been "endlifed"
in fglrx by AMD and I will be very surprised to learn of any
closed source driver beating the last radeon driver on it.
Your box, your sweat, your decision. ;o)

> Initially I think I followed some things from this page -
> http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Lucid_Installation_Guide
> to install the proprietary driver...

..did you read that scornful message in the big red box? ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: