Hi Geoff,

my Win 7 updates work well and I don't think that GRUB has something
to do with it.

Well, I did try Rembrandt once and it worked, so I assume that your
card can handle it as well.
Don't let the product number fool you; the 2600XT is better than mine
(albeit not being ATI's best card, even backintheday).

The 7xxx card's crashes might be caused by drivers or OpenSceneGraph.
Waiting for new versions of both might be worth it.

B.