On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
> Personally, I'm not using it since it makes my system just a bit too slow to
> enjoy and I can't really see how to port lightfield development to Rembrandt
> (I guess we're not quite there yet as far as infrastructure is concerned, and
> I'd have to learn a few things,  but also  if Rembrandt + lightfield becomes
> even 20% slower than Rembrandt alone, then I can't fly it any more -
> Rembrandt costs me more than 50% of my framerate ). So personally, I really
> need it as optional, and I'd drop out of shader development if it weren't
> because if I can't enjoy it, I somehow lose the motivation to do it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting making Rembrandt anything other
than optional, just like all the other graphical features we have.

> I have also continuing concerns with 'converting' things to Rembrandt - do
> they still work for non-Rembrandt? I know some people create optional
> Rembrandt and non-Rembrandt versions. I'd ask everyone who has no problems
> with Rembrandt to really be aware that there are people who can't run it on
> their hardware at all and that there are others who may not want to run it
> but may want to use Flightgear and their favourite planes nevertheless.

Converting aircraft to Rembrandt will still mean that they work
perfectly well with non-Rembrandt.

Making an aircraft "Rembrandt-compatible" just involves marking
transparent surfaces as such, and has no effect on the non-Rembrandt
systems.

Adding Rembrandt lighting similarly can be done in such a way that
there is no effect on non-Rembrandt systems.  The c172p provides an
example of this.

There are only two areas where aircraft maintainers need to be careful IIRC:
- Some aircraft have textures with Ambient Occlusion baked into them.
Rembrandt provides its own ambient occlusion so the textures used for
a aircraft in Rembrandt should not have this included,.
- Some aircraft have "shadows" as additional models. They need to be
disabled when Rembrandt shadows are enabled.

> Is the implication of this that Rembrandt is considered the default and
> aircraft maintainers are expected to switch? When did we make this decision?
> I know all people for whom Rembrandt runs well would like to see everything
> converted asap, but what for these where it really means a lot of performance
> drain?

As mentioned above, it's not a question of "switching". Rather it's
ensuring that aircraft are compatible by marking transparent surfaces.

-Stuart