On Monday, December 10, 2012 00:39:23 James Turner wrote:

> I did a review of the code, but was travelling all last week with very
> erratic Internet access. My feeling is the code is not suitable to be
> merged as-is, due to serious structural issues. (Unrelated to the actual
> simulation math, which looks plausible but is beyond my expertise).
>
> In particular the way the code is using subsystems and properties seems
> very strange to me.

Hi James,
I need to know more specifics about what is offending you about the code.
The way it's structured now, and meant to be accessed by way of setting
properties only, is due to a long mail discussion I've had with Torsten
Dreyer, who explained that this is the better way for the future, because it
is the most flexible way to have multiple stations with different
characteristics. Otherwise, the only other subsystem the radio-system is
interacting with is the FGScenery, for obvious reasons (terrain sampling).
The radio subsystem, even if you think it has rather ugly code, was optimized
for best performance and ease of access from both outside C++ code, and inside
main code. It is working and provides the expected results for all types of
stations: ATC, VOR, DME, ILS, TACAN. Of course I intend to add more stuff and
rewrite some old remnents, but neither Flightgear was perfect when it started,
was it?

> My proposal is, I'll take your patch as inspiration,
> and write a dummy version which does a no-op simulation, but which
> interacts with the radio code in a way I think fits with the rest of the
> sim. Once I've done that, you can convert your functional code to fit that
> structure, and it can be merged.

If you are referring to the code inside the navradio, dme, and tacan files,
I'd be rather curious if you see a better way of doing things. If you are
referring to the radio subsystem (radiosystem.cxx), I'd rather you don't waste
your time with that, but instead provide some little clues on what you find
wrong.
I'm unlikely to massively rewrite the radio subsystem which is tried and
tested for over 10 months.

> Hope that sounds reasonable.

If you have any questions about the internals that bother you, please feel
free to email me in your spare time, and I will either explain, or change the
code if a better way exists.

Cheers,
Adrian