> What I expected was that having selected Regional scenery, then the
> slider would give me reasonable results for my region. Perhaps that's simply
> too
> difficult, or the region is defined too widely. I also see that the
> regional  scenery for the area is wrong as well, but I'm working on that.

We have a very limited set of regions defined at all. It's a bit of a high
expectation that a proof of concept comes out as corrrect per region.

> Right now there are a number of inconsistent approaches. We can select
> pre-set Summer/Winter, but not Autumn.

That's purely texture-based approaches, we can't do autumn because we don't
have autumn terrain textures, and we've recently discussed the merit of keeping
texture-based winter because shader-based stuff is always and unconditionally
more demanding for the GPU.

So I would consider that a fallback scheme for the folks with Intel chipsets.

> We can select snow by METAR, but
> not in Winter, however, the slider works even when METAR is selected.

Long standing discussion - METAR can't really tell if snow is on the ground or
not. But some people like snowline by METAR (I'm not a fan).

> We can  set
> various parameters by slider for the scenery, which the GUI says requires
> shader effects, but apart from the snow thickness, in fact all require
> Atmospheric Light Scattering, which is in a different menu and this
> connection is not mentioned.

Okay, that's our development model striking.

We add features, but we don't delete or heavily modify features added by others
without their consent.

I frankly never wanted to get into terrain texturing, I was always more
interested in weather phenomena. But atmospheric light scattering needed new
terrain shaders anyway - so that gave me the chance to code things how I
personally believe they should be coded - i.e. in an xml-configurable approach
consistent with regional texturing which enables a user to make use of the full
effect suite for any regional texturing project without the necessity of
learning GLSL or how effect files work.

So, Advanced Weather, Atmospheric Light Scattering and the procedural/regional
terrain texturing form an integrated environment with well-defined interfaces.
The rest, default scheme effects, Basic Weather and other materials definitions
do not.

I've offered certainly 10 times here that I'll help anyone who wants to
interface Basic Weather properly with the framework. I'm not the maintainer of
Basic Weather, it's not my call to make. I've offered at least 5 times that
I'll help anyone interested in doing so to port all the procedural texturing
strategies to other frameworks. I'm not the maintainer of Rembrandt or default,
it's not my call to make.

Can you actually imagine the storm that would break if I would simply start
removing other schemes so that our GUI gets less cluttered and we end up with a
consistent approach?

> In addition one slider only works with
> Regional scenery, and that's not mentioned anywhere either.

Well, yes, again, that's a bit of a high expectation for a week-old proof of
concept just arrived on GIT to have a crystal-clear GUI.

> Wetness   effects
> the scenery, but not runways, while moss seems to grow on taxiways and
> runways.

I'm pretty sure it affects runways... Moss grows on runways, I thought that'd
be a nice touch for some really wet locations, but it's easy to make it go away.

http://users.jyu.fi/~trenk/pics/ultra11.jpg

> I'm not at all sure that I've got that all right, and  I can't imagine
> how  the average user is going to figure it out.

You know, that's kind of not my problem. I mention these issues every half
year, offer to work with the maintainers on a solution, and that's where it
stops for me. I can code a consistent framework for the stuff I maintain, but I
can't be consistent with other frameworks without the help of other
maintainers. So I care up to a point, but not beyond. And I'm most definitely
not the intuitive GUI designer. If someone else comes up with a better GUI, I
haven't refused in the past.

* Thorsten