On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Erik Hofman wrote:
> On 02/15/2013 10:00 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
>> So I will remove the option from GIT again and clear out  the *-autumn.png
>> textures in the next days and develop this further for my own private
>> enjoyment (with the understanding that I'll make it available on request to
>> anyone interested), which should give anyone else the chance to implement a
>> drop-down seasons model for 3.0 without generating confusing clashes. No
>> hard feelings from my side, I don't come with the expectation that everyone
>> shares my enthusiasm for painting the terrain. Admittedly it's not at the
>> core of what makes a Flightsim.
>
> I'm not sure this is necessary. I think an opt-in checkbox would
> suffice. After all FlightGear has been around for personal experiments
> for a very long time. So why not this option.

+1.  I think removing it is going a bit far.  It's early in the
release cycle as well, so there's plenty of time to iron out issues
and work out a suitable scheme that satisfies those who just want a
quick'n'dirty way to get a roughly autumnal palette, and those willing
to take the time to tune the environment to exactly match what they
see outside.

I've still to look into this in detail (too many other things on my
plate right now), but I'm confident I can some up with a sensible user
interface.

Finally, it's worth remembering the -devel list only represents a
small part of the FG userbase, and those not using git have not even
had the chance to try this yet.

-Stuart