> In general, giving users choice is bad. What developers should do, is
> figure out what the user *wanted*, and then do it. Excessive choices /
> options / preferences are a failure to be sufficiently smart, about what
> the user actually wants.

I disagree with this on a very general basis.

It seems to me the whole point about OpenSource is freedom (we're advertizing
Fly Free! as well). Freedom inevitably means giving choices to the
user/redeveloper/.... and not making that choice for him. I would agree that it
is my task to figure out what the customer wants and provide that to him in a
commercial environment, but this is not what we are. There is an (admittedly
small) fraction of users who enjoy that freedom they can never get with a
commercial product - does it make any sense to focus on the others and try to
emulate commercial?

* Thorsten