> A small addition: what has always bothered me about terrain in FG is that
> roads and rivers are all the same size.

Good point. That wasn't really apparent from the FSX demo (not so many roads of
different size in the Caribbean).

I think rivers are less of an issue in CORINE based custom scenery - I seem to
remember that I was quite happy following major rivers in custom France or
Italy.  Roads... yes - Vivian's screenshot looks quite promising though. It's
not something that's very important to me personally because I usually fly in
pretty lonely places where roads are far an inbetween, so it's something I tend
to overlook.

> Obviously compare  the worst YASim with the best  JSBSim will always be
> beneficial for JSBSim. But the opposite will be benefit YASim. This is
> ridiculous.

Erik basically said it - it's not a YaSim vs. JSBSim comparison here.  We could
make a best YaSIm vs. best JSBSim comparison, and I do have an opinion about
that, but that's a different discussion.

> This kind of remark has no place here, and especially not by you.

What's the last half-sentence supposed to mean? Why would I be an especially
unsuitable person to remark on aerodynamics? Granted, I'm not an aerospace
engineer, but I do have a sufficient comprehension of fluid dynamics, solving
equations of motion and all the rest, and I have real-world experience as a
glider pilot,  so I feel entirely qualified to comment on aerodynamical issues.

> FS X was released in 2006. What is really surprising is that a person
> like you never had the curiosity to test it before today.

Not really - I'm not a Microsoft fan, I try to run Windows as little as
possible and mostly live on Linux.

> What is it
> then for X-Plane, Fly II Legacy and all the others ? And I am speaking
> not even of older sim. FS 1, FS II, FS 3, FS 4, FS 5, Gunship, Knight of
> the Sky, Reach The Sky of, A320, F15II, F29 Retaliator, Falcon, Falcon
> 4, IL 2, Flanker 2.0, Lock On, etc. ..

I have logged many happy hours with Falcon 3 and Falcon 4 and I think they were
excellent simulators. I fail to get your point though - if I compare FG with
FSX and write my opinion, am I somehow under obligation to make a comparison to
every other flightsim in existence at some point in time?

So I tested FSX, I found we fare quite well in comparison, I did not test
Gunship or X-Plane 10, so I don't know how we fare in comparison and I will not
offer an opinion without knowing - what exactly is the problem?

Best,

* Thorsten