> Renk, you should take a look at the default Cessna 172 in FG and it's
> mate in FSX.  The FSX version wipes the floor with the FG version with respect
> to the cockpit model.

(I'd really appreciate if you guys would call me on first-name basis
'Thorsten'...)

That's a question of what a fair comparison is.

I'm going to assume that whoever put a demo version from FSX together has
specifically chosen scenery and airplanes in the demo to impress users. So my
standard of comparison is not 'How does the same airplane or the same scenery
in FG look like' because I regard that as unfair - they got to chose, we
didn't. My standard of comparison would be - if I were to put together a FG
demo to impress users, how would that compare?

You are certainly right with the c172, but the fair comparison is e.g. our
DR-400 against the FSX C-172, and FG is going to win that one.

It doesn't matter so much that many aircraft in FG can not measure up to that
standard - I don't usually fly them. We have 20-30 really high quality
aircraft, and I doubt FSX has that many out of the box. If you count addons, we
can field all the non-GPL hangars in return, where I believe T4T is doing some
really impressive warbirds...

If you're going into comparing 'the same' (scenery, aircraft,...) than my next
question would be - FG has beautiful scenery in central Iran with the
Middle-East texturing definitions. I doubt FSX out of the box has any scenery
there at all. So we're winning flat out in many cases by virtue of having
scenery everywhere. It doesn't make too much sense to me to go into that
direction.

> One thing I'd really like to see put together is a "The Hidden Secrets of
> FlightGear" page that illustrates all the little bits that people aren't
> necessarily aware of.  Things like the hard science behind a lot of the
> things FG tries to get right that "other" simulation software completely
> ignores or fakes poorly.

We've sort of started this here

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Unique_Features

My problem is that I often know very well how X is implemented in FG, I may
suspect that it's not in FSX or X-Plane, but since I'm not running X-Plane or
FSX with all addons I don't really know for a fact if it is a genuinely unique
feature or if there is a 3rd party addon to FSX/X-Plane which provides the same
thing. And we would want to be factually correct here.

> While we wait for the FSX screenshot, I'd like to see the FSX
> equivalents of  these as well:

Honestly, I have no clue how to make a screenshot in FSX... and I don't want to
fiddle around with it much longer, suffice to say it gave me some ideas how the
GUI could be, but it doesn't draw me in in any way. And you'll not going to
find me argue that the Vinson doesn't measure up. It's a spectacular model, and
I do love doing carrier ops in FG.

Cheers,

* Thorsten