> >     Try the xkbvled(1) application.
> >
> >     Do you find it too doesn't properly represent the shift lock LED?
>
> It also fails.
> I've tried this now with F17 and Ubuntu-12.10, hosted on Win7 and OSX
> 10.6.8, though in VirtualBox VM's in each case.
> I don't have ready access to another "brand" of VM to try at present.
> If anything, the Win7 hosted version might have been slightly better,
> but none worked "right".

Well, in passing, I poked at the VM's a bit more, though nothing useful
arises...

In summary, it looks as if the Caps Lock key is subject to "special" handling,
probably both in X11 itself *and* by the VM.

For comparison, the Num Lock key appears to map straight through to xkbvleds
(and my own test code) entirely "unmolested" and can be read reliably within
the VM.

But the Caps Lock shows some unusual features.

- With the VBox VM hosted on Win7:

I can read the keyboard in "real time" with XQueryKeymap and see the Caps Lock
key being pressed and released. I take this to mean that the VM is passing the
key stokes through pretty much unmolested on Win7.
However, the state reported for Caps Lock (either by X11 or by fltk) does not
reliably reflect the "true" state until after the *next* key is pressed
(sometimes it is OK, but not often enough to be considered reliable!) This, I
*assume* is special handling within X11 in some way.
Num Lock is always fine, AFAICT.

- With the VBox VM hosted on OSX:

When I read the keyboard in "real time" with XQueryKeymap I *never* see the
Caps Lock key being pressed and released. It just never seems to get flagged,
ever.
I take this to mean that the VM is NOT passing the Caps Lock key stokes through
at all. I think the Caps Lock state is somehow only coming through to the VM on
the next key stroke.
As a result, the state reported for Caps Lock (either by X11 or by fltk) does
not reliably reflect the "true" state until the *next* key is pressed.
So in this case, it would appear there is "special" handling of the Caps Lock
key by *both* the VM and by X11.
Num Lock is always fine, AFAICT.

The end.

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132