>       If I understand correctly, the capslock state info is correct
> during
>       regular keypresses, just not when the capslock key is hit.

Yes - in all the tests I tried, the Caps Lock state was always "correct" during
(and after) regular key presses.

However, any attempt to discern the Caps Lock state immediately after the Caps
Lock key was pressed / released a few times, with no other key pressed since,
was "unreliable".

(For X11 on Linux, in a VBox VM... "real" systems may be more consistent!)

As a rider, I suggested in an earlier post that the OSX hosted VM was not even
delivering the Caps Lock key down/up events to the hosted OS until the next
"regular" key was pressed.

However, subsequent testing using xev shows this is not strictly true; however,
the keyboard state in the VM is so messed up by the flurry of events that are
delivered (for a single Caps Lock key transition, I see half a dozen events,
where a normal key sends 1...) that any attempt to discern the Caps Lock state
(e.g. via XQueryKeymap or otherwise) returns unreliable status...

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132