I would add to the consensus here ... I believe that requiring Java 2
collection classes is more than reasonable, particularly for this project.
I'm not sure that anyone is going to have much success deploying bleeding
edge technologies like XSL:FO if they are trapped in a 2-3 year old Java
platform.

All customers I am working with who are doing PDF rendering with FOP
are all on 1.3, 1.3.1 JVMs ... they are early adopters and technophiles by
definition.  The other guys are still using TeX  ;-)

Besides, 1.1 users can work around the use of Java 2 collection classes if
they absolutely have to, by using Sun's collections.jar and changing the
package imports in the source code.

- Rob