So in conclusion I think there is a general consensus (vote) to move to
java 1.2.

I will commit what I have so far for the next release.

For java 1.1 users:
Sorry but I think it is better to do it this way. To run with java 1.1 you
could use the collections.jar and change the import statements. Other
changes may also be needed.

About threading issues:
There is only a problem if the HashMap is being added to at the same time
as it is also being added to or being read from. This is simple for the
main use, properties and elements where the adding can be put into a
synchronized block. The advantage is that it is possible to read from two
threads at the same time where hastable would prevent this.
I think in most of our data it should be fairly easy to handle.