Keiron Liddle wrote:

 > Hi All,

 > Some recent changes have improved the times by about 1 - 2% but one
change
 > that I have tried has made about a 60% improvement with the threaded
test.
 > This is by simply using HashMap instead of Hashtable. This is very
 > significant for cocoon and others who may be using fop in a threaded
 > environment. The time is changed from being twice as slow as serial to
 > faster than serial.
 >
 > So the question is: can we drop java 1.1 support and use better data
 > structures?

Keiron,

Sounds good to me.

I have been assuming the Collections framework in the tinkering that I
have been doing.  There had been some discussion earlier, and the only
contributor to that discussion who was actually stuck on 1.1 (Alex) had
encouraged FOP to move on.

One point though: when you changed the HashTable to a HashMap, you lost
synchronization.  In the new design, there are going to be threads, so
all shared access structures will need to be synchronized.  It would be
interesting to see how much of the improvement disappears when the
HashMap accesses are synchronized.

Peter
--
Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest