Hi Bill,

Have you seen pstoedit?  (http://www.pstoedit.net/).  This will convert
postscript to a variety of vector graphics formats, and it DOESN'T
convert it to a bitmap first, so you should keep the original quality.
The free version doesn't support SVG output; you can get a demo with
SVG support, but it converts "e" to "$" and messes up the colours.  Real
SVG support costs $50.  It seems to be available for Windows, Linux
and Solaris.

My experience is only limited, but it does seem to work for the things
that I've thrown at it.  I haven't entirely worked out how to get the bounding
box right yet.

Good luck,

--Phil.