>I will nail down the weaknesses of the XML->PDF approach:
>
>1. XSL:FO is a very complicated and messy language
>2. XSLT is also kinda complicated to use, at least if you have to do
>complicated formatting...

I'm replying to my own email adding that of course I would be glad if
someone can show me how to make a simpler XSLT. Maybe we just didn't figure
out how to make the XSLT simple. But please take a look at the iText
http://www.lowagie.com/iText/ examples first. That is what I call simplicity!!!
Also keep in mind that we generate many different tables, with different
formatting each on a single pdf document.

Best regards, Roland