-----Original Message-----
From: Hans-Jürgen Wiesner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 10:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Embedding FOP

[snip]

INFO    10191   [fop     ] (): building formatting object tree
DEBUG   10191   [fop     ] (): setting up fonts
ERROR   10191   [fop     ] (): Unknown formatting object ^html

The message text of the exception says:

Root element must be root, not (none):html

This seems to mean my DTD, which I deleteted; if I use a valid DTD:
<!DOCTYPE xhtml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

This may sound like a bizarre question, but you are transforming the XHTML to a FO
document before you attemt to render it, right?  To the best of my knowledge, you must
perform your own transforms and provide FOP with valid FO.  Are you using a technique
like the recommended one for going from an XML document to FO like this one listed on
the FOP website:

Driver driver = new Driver();
  driver.setRenderer(Driver.RENDER_PDF);
  InputHandler inputHandler = new XSLTInputHandler(xmlFile, xslFile);
  XMLReader parser = inputHandler.getParser();
  driver.setOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(outFile));
  driver.render(parser, inputHandler.getInputSource());

I just ask because, if your XHTML what's getting into driver.render(), it's going to
blow up.