The difference, though subtle, is that the you are not using the parser
from the XSLTInputHandler. Calling get parser sets a boolean value which
enables the transformation. Otherwise it simply returns a file input
source for the xml file.
So get the parser from the XSLTInputSource.
.. and we will look into fixing this bug.