Hi Joerg

Can you cite the specific productions that lead to this conclusion? I am not
saying that you are wrong but I can't find it.

I must be tired. ;-) I just looked at the XML 1.1 production for AttValue
which is

AttValue    ::=    '"' ([^<&"] | Reference)* '"'
   |  "'" ([^<&'] | Reference)* "'"

and I see a prohibition here on using a literal '<' or '&' in the attribute
value, anywhere. But I see nothing about '-'.

If the grammar of the recommendations leads to the conclusion that

character="-"

is not OK, then this just simply offends my common sense.

Arved