Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Why is character="-" a parsing error? The XML Recommendation has at least
> one example of an attribute value that contains a hyphen.

This comes from assuming that every unqoted sequence of characters which
is not a number, mesutrement or a color has to be interpreted as NCName,
as the grammar suggests, and IIRC a NCName must not start with a hyphen.
This means
  hyphenation-char="-"
can't parse as number, can't parse as string, can't parse as color, can't
parse as NCName  -> parsing error.
Interestingly
  hyphenation-char="-1"
would parse, but certainly can't be converted to a char
Some other niceties:
  hyphenation-char="1*4"
would this make the hyphenation charater be "4"?
Can
  hyphenation-char="1 div 4"
be converted to &#x00BC? <bg> I know this becomes silly.

>>How are you intending to implement
>><character>?
>
> By storing it as a Unicode value according to the XML Rec production

Functions complicate matters, and something like
   hyphenation-char="from-table-column('hyphenation-char')"
might even make some sense.

J.Pietschmann