Peter B. West wrote:
> This is the critical point.  The namespace not only restricts the
> elements and attributes, but imposes itself on the contents of the
> attribute values passed in by the XML parser.

Umm, the namespace does not impose anything. It's the XSLFO spec which
defines the semantics of some elements and XML attribute values. That
said elements happen to be in a certain namespace is not really relevant
for getting something formatted.

>  I need to think about
> this a bit more, but it seems to me that the recent ruling on <string>
> with respect to the "format" attribute, which makes my flesh creep every
> time I think about it, disguises an attempt to smuggle part of the
> Transform namespace's constraints into the Format namespace.  They are
> completely different expression environments, which is why it doesn't
> work.  Has anyone else given this any thought?

Where does XSLT come into the picture? The whole thing is specified
in the XSLFO spec, section 5. The expressions which make up property
values in the end come from 5.9ff. The expression language used by
XSLT, XPath, is an entirely different beast (I don't think this is
much of an advantage).

J.Pietschmann