Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> And unless _I_ am missing something, "-" precisely matches that production.
>
> You are looking at
>
> "'" [^']* "'"
>
> but I am looking at
>
> '"' [^"]* '"'
>
> According to the latter I can absolutely do "-".

Well, in
   hyphenation-char="-"
the hyphen is the expression, not "the hyphen surrounded by double
quotes". As I said, unless I'm something missing, the FO property
expression is the value of the XML attribute, which in turn is the
hyphen, because the double quotes are part of the XML syntax and
are stripped by the XML parser. The XSLFO property expression parser
gets the hyphen, without any quotes, double, or single. And without
the quotes, it does not match either of the two productions for literal.
This is the problem here.

Perhaps I should have written that
   hyphenation-char="'-'"
and