Oleg,

Thanks for this.  I just had a look at java.text.Bidi, and was led
inexorably into java.awt.font, and from there back to bedrock -
java.lang.Character.  It's Wonderland in there, and I haven't had time
to digest it, but it looks as though all of the attributes from the
Unicode character database are now encoded in java.lang.Character.  I.e.
the CDB is available in 1.4.  It was also interesting to see that a
significant subset of the CDB has been available since 1.1, notable
omissions being the BIDI characteristics.

How is bidi support accessed in 1.3?  Must you make your own
determinations of directionality, or has the CDB BIDI data also been
smuggled in?

Peter

--
Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/