Christian Geisert wrote:

> Forrest offers one PDF per page at the moment
> (see http://outerthought.net/forrest/ for example)

One PDF per page is fine, but it is inconvenient to download or print the
whole.

> > Item 1: The 0.20.4 release does not seem to have the fo.pdf
> file included,
> > probably because the xmldoc files aren't in the maintenance
> branch (to build
>
> Because pdf generation was broken..

You must be talking about on the trunk, because I don't see xmldocs in the
maint branch at all. The patch that I submitted should substantially fix the
pdf generation that was broken in the trunk (I have more work here to submit
as well).

> I'm too not sure what's the best ..
> Some time ago we decided to maintain the docs in the trunk only.
> For the 0.20.3 release I copied the xml-sources to the maintenance
> branch and build the docs there.

You must mean in your local sandbox, just to get the build done?

> We already have some kind of developer documentation (called design
> docs). See http://xml.apache.org/fop/design/index.html, sources are in
> docs/design.

Yep. That's most of the stuff that went into it, although there are a couple
of other documents that are in docs/xmldocs/fop that went in as well (when I
say "went in", that is past tense for me, but I have not submitted that work
yet). Eventually, I think some developer-oriented content should be culled
from the user docs & moved over to design/developer docs.

> It's quite complicated at the moment and Forrest should improve this
> but I don't see how this will happen at the moment.

Well, in the meantime, unless my patch or approach messes up Joerg's work
somehow, it seems reasonable to do what we can with what we have.

Vic