On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 03:36:30PM -0700, Victor Mote wrote:
> I made some decent progress today on getting my head into the trunk code,
> and to document some of what I have learned. I am still confused by the
> "Development" and "Redesign" tabs. At first, I thought that maybe
> "Development" was for those who might be developing on the maintenance
> branch, and "Redesign" for those on the trunk, but the title to the index
> document under "Development" seems to belie that. I see that we have some
> problems with the left nav bar that result from our directory structure. For
> example, first click http://xml.apache.org/fop/design/index.html, then click
> on the tab entitled "Understanding", and watch the left nav bar change,
> which you would think it should not. Perhaps we made the two tabs to ease
> that problem?

Is 'understanding' a subsection of 'design', as the directory structure
suggests?

The menu changes because there are two different book.xml files (which
generate the menus):

src/documentation/content/xdocs/design/book.xml
src/documentation/content/xdocs/design/understanding/book.xml

As for tabs, they are completely reactive things.  The tab with the longest
matching @dir is "on".  So FOP's tabs.xml has:

  <tab label="Home" dir=""/>
  <tab label="Development" dir="dev/"/>
  <tab label="Redesign" dir="design/"/>
  <tab label="alt design" dir="design/alt.design/"/>

When viewing design/* or design/understanding/*, the longest matching tab is
"Redesign".

HTH,

--Jeff