Chris Bowditch wrote:

> What you say is true, but I think you missed one thing from your
> analysis:
> what if solution A took x seconds and B took x+2 seconds, but B had a
> greater level of compliance and produced better results than solution A?
>
> Then you would want to give the users the choice between better
> results or
> performance. Which solution you choose would then depend on the
> requirements
> of the situation. I dont think you could just discard solution B
> because it
> is slower. You would try to work with A, but if the document was
> too complex
> to get good results with A, then the user could switch to using B

Well said, and I think it even goes deeper than this. It may actually be
/useful/ to have non-compliant LayoutStrategies. If a minimally compliant
LayoutStrategy required 120% memory, or 2x processing time over a leaner but
noncompliant LayoutStrategy (like our maintenance branch code), there will
be some, especially in embedded environments, that will prefer the
noncompliant LayoutStrategy. It may be possible within a LayoutStrategy to
allow the user to configure some of these tradeoffs as well.

Victor Mote