BTW, how certain are we that alt.design will be ready
for 1.0?  Has there been agreement on switching the
alt.design by the committers yet--to the degree that
we should indeed forgo any improvement on the current
layout code?

I didn't get the impression from Joerg's email
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=105121991624106&w=2,
that work on layout was frozen in preparation for
alt.design--such freezing  strikes me as premature
right now.

Glen