I have taken a look at the way this question is dealt with in LaTeX
(TeX does not have the notion of font families, LaTeX does). Here the
question what to use for small caps font is deferred to the font
setup. The font definition tables must define a small caps font. If
they do not do so, a fallback font is used; this should also be
defined in the fd tables. If they fail to do that as well, the system
uses its fallback font.

Like FOP's layout, LaTeX only uses the font metrics. The renderer
should locate the actual font. If such a font does not exist, but must
be emulated, then this should indicated in the font system
configuration for the renderers. For example, the fonts map for dvips
has these lines, which I believe tell it how to generate a small caps
font:
pplr8rn Palatino-Roman ".82 ExtendFont TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc

So my basic belief is that FOP should not know anything about
this. It should all be configured in the font system. That is how the
user imposes his choice of fonts.

With kind regards,
Simon Pepping

--