The Preferences API is exactly that: for preferences. IMO this is best
for client application (GUIs) that need to save and reload preferences
for the application. That's the reason for the distinction between
system root and user root [1]. This is cool for our preview application
and the "FOP utility" that I promised long ago and never delivered. But
for configuring FOP (the engine) I consider the preferences API
rather unsuitable.

We also need to make sure that FOP can easily be configured from within
Cocoon which could be difficult with the Preferences API.

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/prefs/PreferencesFactory.html

On 08.02.2004 04:57:35 Peter B. West wrote:
> possibly also the preferences API (java.util.prefs) for
> configuration/user agent/user prefs?

Jeremias Maerki