On Feb 8, 2004, at 3:37 AM, J.Pietschmann wrote:
If we are involved in such considerations, we need to decide how we propose to support our 1.3 user base. The most recent discussions showed that a number of users face steep costs to upgrade to 1.4.

As for the 1.4 discussion: The jakarta commons list held it at some length a few weeks ago. It's choosing between Scylla and Charybdis: Using 1.4 gives a lot of functionality, thereby giving the project leverage to move faster rather than worrying about reimplementation of such functions. OTOH, it may lock out users on platforms which lag behind. There was also the consideration that many enterprises have servers based on 1.3 deployed, and upgrading a working service is usually frowned upon, even if a convenient path is available.

Given that FOP 1.0 wont be released until at least late this year,
if not later, we could tell our 1.3 users to use 0.20.5 and
declare 1.4 the minimum for 1.0.

I had a similar thought process (0_20_2-maintain for pre-1.4 users--if it works, don't fix it?). As for 1.0 (forgive my playing the devil's advocate here), why stop at 1.4? Assuming Java 1.5 will be released by the time FOP 1.0 will be released, why not base it on the latest and greatest? Would that offer any benefits? What problems might that lead to?

Web Maestro Clay