--- Simon Pepping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What Andreas argues here is what I would think as
> well: The LMs are
> tied to the formatting objects, not to the page
> regions they populate.
>
> Regards, Simon

I don't see it that way, because both an fo:flow and
an fo:static-content are handled equivalently when
sent to a SideRegion, and both are handled
equivalently when sent to the BodyRegion.

SideRegionLM handles the layout of input into a
region-reference-area that does not have spans (and
therefore columns/normal-flow-reference-areas,
column-balancing, etc.)  It does the same thing
regardless of the input coming from an fo:flow or an
fo:static-content.

NormalFlowLM handles the layout of input into
multi-column/multi-span areas of a region-body.  It
does the same thing regardless of the input coming
from an fo:flow or an fo:static-content.

[I am unsure, however, whether NormalFlowLM is to
handle just one normal flow (column), all the
normal-flows of the span, or all the spans of the
body-region, it may turn out that renaming it SpanLM
or RegionBodyLM may make more sense.  Now that I think
about it, RegionBodyLM ATM probably makes the most
amount of sense.]

The routing that Andreas mentions is already handled
by PSLM, which also makes sure that additional pages
are created to satisfy fo:flows, and that
fo:static-contents are duplicated on each page.  This
routing is really the flow-map (implicit in 1.0,
explicit in 1.1) which is the directing of flows
(fo:static-content or fo:flow) on one side to
(multiple) regions (SideRegionLM and/or RegionBodyLM,
as appropriate) on the other.

Glen